Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Freedom from Suffering


I found this exercise on Universal Loving-Kindness inspiring, to say the least. When I first began, I was just repeating something I was reading and was not putting too much thought into it. But then I decided to repeat this phrase as a prayer. I started with "Lord, may all individuals gain freedom from suffering, etc." As I kept repeating this prayer for 10 minutes, the words came rushing to my mind and heart "may I assist all individuals in gaining freedom from suffering." I have a friend who within the last week lost her 23 year old son to an unexplained seizure. I attended the funeral yesterday and I have been so down for this beautiful family. Through this meditation today and I was reminded how this family will need so much support in the coming days, months, and years, and I would like to help "assist them in gaining freedom from their suffering" by being there for them, praying for them daily, and supporting when I can. This picture of the butterfly being released by hands in bondage is important to me because we can either choose to remain a caterpillar or flourish into a beautiful butterfly!

4 comments:

  1. Chrisanne,

    Thank you for your comments to my blogs. I believe God put you and I in this class because He knew I needed to hear what you have to say. I am very sorry for your friend and will keep them in my prayers. The picture of the butterfly being released by the bound hands really touched me. My husband tells me I am a butterfly waiting to come out of my coccoon. He has been saying this for 20 years. I think it is about time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chisanne,
    Wow, what an inspiring blog! The picture is something that I feel could represent this class, because as you said we can choose to be a caterpillar or flourish as a butterfly. Very inspiring. I am sorry to hear about your friends loss. Your prayers and support will greatly help them, I am a strong believer in that. It is amazing what we can do when we put our mind to it. My prayers are with you at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrisanne, how beautiful and inspiring your post is. I never thought to make the phrases we had to say into a prayer. Thanks for the idea. This exercise seem to have come at the right time for you. I pray that you can help that family heal. BTW, I love the picture. It is so inspiring to see this and know you can be free from the bondages of the world. I love reading this. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chrisanne:

    I love the butterfly above the hand that are bound., I am a firm believer that butterfies signify transformation. Transformation should be the goal of each of our lives. Through the use of contemplative practice, we can each achieve transformation. Deep inside, we are are all butterflies!

    Shertina

    ReplyDelete